What Can You Expect After A Hurricane?
Structural damage isn’t the only problem that hurricanes and tropical storms can leave behind. Pests such as ants and mosquitoes can be a large problem with post-floods along with rodents, cockroaches and termites.
Here is what you can expect to see and find in the aftermath.
- ANTS: When flooding occurs, water wipes out ant nests that are underground. Ants are known to cluster on top of flood waters until they find a dry structure. This could mean an onslaught of ants in your home or on your property.
- RODENTS: Rats and mice will be seeking refuge from the water and may find their way into your home. They carry many diseases and insects such as lice and fleas. An invasion of these rodents shouldn’t be taken lightly. Once they are removed from the home, entry points must be eliminated to keep them from returning. (There are high possibilities of new entry points in your home due to the wind and flooding.)
- MOSQUITOES: During a hurricane, mosquitoes typically do not survive the powerful winds. But unfortunately, you can expect a large boost in the mosquito population with all of the standing flood water. It is an ideal environment for mosquitoes to breed and thrive. Make sure you are taking proper precautions to guard yourself and your family against mosquitoes.
- COCKROACHES: Cockroaches are often seeking water sources, but after a flood they will be looking for a place to stay dry, which means your home could be the perfect target. They multiple quickly and carry diseases so it is important to eliminate conditions, avenues and sources immediately.
- TERMITES: Termites are attracted to moisture, and structures that have been flooded are more prone to an infestation. A thorough inspection of your home is critical to ensure termites have not gained access into your home from underground or through your attic.
If your drywall has been removed, Massey Services strongly recommends these areas be treated with Bora-Care before the drywall is replaced. The Bora-Care treatment penetrates the wood in the structure and remains there for the life of the wood, providing residual protection. Please call us to schedule your Bora-Care treatment.
If you need any help with your pest needs, please do not hesitate to contact Massey Services at 1-888-2MASSEY (262-7739) or email us at [email protected].