Protect Your Home From Fleas and Ticks
It’s safe to say that no one likes pests invading their home…since they can bite you and even spread diseases. Fleas and ticks can be extremely invasive. They more commonly make their way into homes via pets and can become very difficult to control and eliminate. Some can spread diseases and are known to feed on animals and sometimes humans.
Fortunately, Massey Services Specialists are experts at getting rid of flea and tick infestations.
If you think you have fleas or ticks, schedule a free inspection with Massey Services. We’ll have an inspector visit your home within 24 hours.
What does a flea look like?
These pests are extremely small and sometimes hard to see. They are only 1/12 to 1/6 of an inch long. They are typically a dark reddish-brown and flattened side to side.
Why are fleas so hard to control?
Fleas are hard to control because once they find a host, they will either lay eggs on an animal or in your home. They lay eggs in carpeting, bedding and furniture. Since the eggs and larvae are nearly impossible to see with the naked eye, you often won’t know there’s an issue until you see the symptoms.
Can fleas fly?
Fleas do not have wings but they do have the ability to jump long distances.
What does a tick look like?
They do not have wings, and they are flat and oval in appearance until they have had a blood meal. Nymphs and adults will have eight legs, but tick larvae only have six. Ticks can be grayish-white, brown, black, reddish-brown or yellowish in color.
Why are ticks so hard to control?
The simple answer is host movement. Ticks often are carried into an area by hosts such as mice, deer or other mammals, including people.
Can I get a disease from a tick?
Yes, ticks can transmit Lyme disease to humans through a bite. The signature rash of a Lyme tick bite looks like a solid red oval or a bull’s-eye. It can appear anywhere on your body. The bull’s-eye has a central red spot, surrounded by a clear circle with a wide red circle on the outside. The rash is flat and usually doesn’t itch.
Did You Know?
- An estimated $2.8 billion is spent annually on flea-related veterinarian bills
- For professional flea control, it’s estimated that $348 million is spent annually
- Fleas typically lay their eggs on animals but since the eggs have a dry, smooth surface, oftentimes they fall out of the animal’s hair
- The cat flea is the most common type of this pest in the United States while the dog flea can rarely be found
- Ticks are more similar to spiders and scorpions than they are to insects.
- There are about 850 species of ticks.
- Ticks feed on blood and transmit diseases such as Lyme disease, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, Ehrlichia and Anaplasma to a variety of hosts such as birds, reptiles, wild and domestic animals and humans.
Before coming inside a home via a host, fleas and ticks are typically found outdoors in moist, shady and cool places such as shrubs, leaves, trees and sometimes tall grass. They will typically live in these areas until they find a food source. They will hitch a ride and feed on the host.
How do I get rid of fleas?
The most effective way to get rid of them inside your home is to call a professional. They will apply a treatment that will kill the adults, eggs, larvae and pupae. After a treatment is complete, it is recommended to frequently vacuum carpet and wash bedding and blankets.
How do you know if you have been bitten by a tick?
Unlike most other bugs that bite, ticks typically remain attached to your body after they bite you. After a period of up to 10 days of drawing blood from your body, an engorged tick can detach itself and fall off.
What do fleas and ticks eat?
Simple, they feed on you and your pets blood.
How quickly can you respond to my flea and tick issue?
We’re guaranteed to schedule help within 24 hours, at a time that’s convenient for you. Once we have an opportunity to inspect your infestation, we’ll provide a resolution within 48 hours.
What’s included in my FREE flea and tick inspection?
Since no two infestation issues are the same, we begin with a free, detailed inspection. This includes a complete analysis of your home – inside, outside, over and under – for fleas and ticks. During our inspection, we document all of our findings on a comprehensive graph of your entire property. We identify the conditions, avenues and sources for flea and tick infestations. We use this to prepare a plan to eliminate current problems and create a customized plan specific to your home.
Attention Pet Owners
Protect Your Pet From Fleas and Ticks
To prevent fleas and ticks from feeding on your pets, here are several recommendations:
- INSPECT! After walks or playtime outside, inspect your pet thoroughly. You should brush their coat and remove any debris or insects.
- Bathe your pets regularly, using a shampoo that kills pests.
- Be on the lookout for excessive scratching. This is a good indicator they have skin irritations.
- If your pet has long hair, consider having them groomed in the spring and summer. This prevents fleas and ticks from latching on AND allows you to spot them easier if they do.
- See the vet! Consult with your veterinarian to determine what preventive medicine you should give your furry friend.
- Wash your pet’s bedding, crate, toys, food bowls and sleeping areas on a regular basis.
- If you notice a change in your animal’s behavior, such as lack of energy or appetite, take them to the vet immediately. It could be a sign of Lyme Disease or another health issue caused by pests.
- Keep your home clean and clutter free!
- Vacuum frequently and wash linens on a regular basis.
- Keep your lawn cut short and gardens well-maintained to prevent breeding grounds for pests. Fleas often hide out in tall grasses.
Flea and Tick Prevention and Control at Massey Services
Dealing with fleas and ticks can be an overwhelming situation, especially when your fur-ever friend has become irritated or ill. Knowing what to do and how to prevent these pesky insects is key to protecting yourself and your pet! While ticks do not tend to reproduce inside, fleas do! If you notice fleas or think you have a flea infestation in your home, call us right away or complete the free inspection form below.
Our professionals are trained to eliminate existing flea and tick infestations and provide preventive services on the exterior of your home.
Massey Services Commitment to Excellence
Massey Services is in business to protect the health, food, property and quality of our environment for over 680,000 residential and commercial customers throughout Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Texas, South Carolina, North Carolina and Oklahoma.
We invite you to receive a free, no-obligation inspection of your home, after which we will explain our unparalleled, environmentally friendly and completely guaranteed services.
* Valid for new customers on the purchase of any new service(s) only. Savings varies based on number of new annual services purchased: 10% off the purchase of 1 annual service; 15% off the purchase of 2 annual services; 20% off the purchase of 3 or more annual services. Not valid with any other offer. Some services are not available in all areas. Cannot be applied toward current service(s) or renewals. Savings not to exceed Initial Service Charge(s). Offer valid 11/1/21 – 12/31/21.