Taking the Bite Out of Mosquitoes
You may hear the hum, but you will definitely feel the bite when the mosquitoes around your home decide its feeding time.
The mosquito-borne Zika virus disease, has been in the news a lot lately. Mosquitoes have been around for millions of years and are one of the most irritating pests. Massey Services, the nation’s fifth largest pest prevention company, offers these tips to lessen the bites and keep you protected from mosquito-borne illnesses.
Tips to Protect Yourself Against Mosquitoes
- Focus mosquito abatement efforts outside the home; prevent mosquitoes from entering by having tightly closed doors as well as windows and screens that are properly fitted.
- Mosquito larvae can develop and become adults in a matter of days; drain standing water often from the places it collects around your home to eliminate breeding habitats.
- If there are excessive amounts of water outside your home, request professional help to apply a larvicide to reduce the mosquito population.
- Clear leaves and debris from gutters and drains to prevent the accumulation of stagnant water.
- Avoid working or playing outdoors at dawn or dusk when mosquitoes are most active. If you must be outside at these times, wear long sleeves and long pants.
- Mosquitoes can bite through thin clothing; use insect repellent with DEET, applying it not only to skin but clothing, as well.
“Mosquito abatement is a process that targets mosquitoes where they live and breed, such as uncontrollable standing water,” said Massey Services Vice President of Quality Assurance Adam Jones. “It provides a barrier of protection around your home that is inspected and treated monthly to minimize mosquito populations all year.”
Related Post: Seasonal Pest Information
There are 13 species of mosquitoes which are capable of transmitting diseases. Professional pest prevention can provide proper control and elimination services through a customized mosquito abatement program.
Massey’s Mosquito Abatement Program
Massey’s Mosquito Abatement Program is unlike most other mosquito control programs because we target mosquitoes where they live and breed. We start with a free inspection of your property, and then we treat high-risk areas such as dense vegetation, under patio decks and other damp areas with poor air circulation. We pay particular attention to stagnant water areas which often attract hordes of mosquitoes to breed and lay their eggs.
We offer two Massey Mosquito Control Programs:
- Annual or seasonal program: For families who spend a lot of time outside, this program includes monthly inspections and a mosquito treatment plan to reduce mosquito populations around your home and property.
- One-time treatment: This treatment is perfect for one-time events, such as backyard parties, weddings and other outdoor events.