Tips To Prevent Pests After A Storm
Massey Services offers a few tips to help prevent pest issues after the storm:
- Make sure your window screens are in good repair and that door sweeps and window seals are in good condition to reduce the chance that pests will relocate into your home this week.
- Seal around conduits and piping where it enters the structure.
- Keep the garage door closed and ensure weather stripping is in good condition.
- Keep trash cans clean and lids sealed.
Tips To Reduce Mosquito Populations
- Drain standing water from the places it collects around your home (bird baths, unfiltered pools) to eliminate breeding habitats. (Drain often; mosquito larvae can develop and become adults in a matter of days.)
- Clear leaves and debris from gutters and drains to prevent the accumulation of stagnant water.
- Avoid working or playing outdoors at dawn or dusk when mosquitoes are most active. If you must be outside at these times, wear long sleeves and long pants.
- Use insect repellent, applying it not only to skin but to clothing, as well. (Mosquitoes can bite through thin clothing.)
- If there is an excessive amount of water outside your home, request professional help to apply a larvicide to reduce the mosquito population.
As a reminder, with the added rainfall your irrigation system should be adjusted and monitored to account for the additional water that your landscape received. Over-watering your landscape can result in weed, insect and disease problems.
- Homeowner Tips to Prevent Pests from Getting Inside
- Ants: Facts & Prevention
- Tips to Control Mosquito Population Around Your Home