Tips to Avoid a Termite Infestation
The dreaded “T” word – termites. No homeowner ever wants to hear that their home has a termite infestation. These pests can cause a lot of damage to homes built with various materials – concrete, stucco, wood, and brick – and create havoc within the structure of your home. It’s estimated that termites cause more than $5 billion in damage each year, sneaking in through cracks and crevices in homes. Termites are destroying your home from behind the walls and under the foundation, so it is imperative to have your home inspected regularly for early signs and proactively treated to keep them at bay.
Massey Services can offer these tips to discourage subterranean termite infestations:
- Repair water leaks and moisture problems. Moisture is critical for termite survival and they flourish in moist areas.
- Keep a close eye on irrigation systems to ensure sprinklers are adjusted properly to spray away from the foundation, walls, etc.
- Trim back bushes and plants to prevent moisture from being trapped against the walls
- Keep gutters free of build-up so that water can flow freely and away from the foundation
- Avoid any wooden items that touch your home from having contact with the soil. Elevate decks on concrete
- Position stucco, wood, or siding six inches above the finished soil level to prevent termites from gaining access into your home.
The best prevention against the risk of expensive termite damage repairs is to have guaranteed termite protection for your home before a problem occurs. Massey Services recommends termite control inspections should be done at least once a year, and include a thorough inspection of the inside and outside of your home.
For a free termite inspection of your home, CLICK HERE today and we’ll schedule an inspection at a time that’s convenient for you.