Preventing Rodents in the Winter
If you are relying on cats to solve your rodent issues at home this winter, you might already be out of nine lives. Preventing rodents from entering your home during the winter months is vital. They often seek shelter and food indoors when the weather turns chilly.
Rats and mice can introduce harmful diseases into your home that could put your family and pets in danger. Some of these diseases include hantavirus, leptospirosis, and salmonella. Not only may rodents carry disease, but they can also destroy property. Rodents can put your home at risk for electrical fires since they are natural born wire-gnawers. Making matters more difficult, most rodents are nocturnal, so you might not detect their presence until it is too late.
In this article, we will go over the best ways to make sure rodents don’t ruin these early months of 2024.
Do NOT Leave Pet Food or Birdseed Outdoors!
– Since the diet of rats, mice, and many other rodents typically consists of seeds, plants, and fruits, it would be wise not to leave any of these types of treats outside. They will consume seeds inside a bird feeder and won’t hesitate to nibble on cat and dog kibble!
Avoid Outdoor Leaks!
– Fixing leaky outdoor faucets will give rats and mice less of an opportunity to become full time pest residents. Unsealed sheds are breeding grounds for rodents.
Keep a Clean Home!
– It’s easy to say, “keep your household clean”, but it is another thing to do it properly. The one area of your home you need to focus on is your kitchen! Sweep your floors, clean out toasters, and don’t leave food on counters. Adult rodents are happy with as little as an ounce of food each day.
Make Sure You Have Separation Between Yard and Home!
– Rodents can be cunning creatures. Maintain a neat yard, free from fallen tree limbs and lead pipes. All it takes is one tree branch to be touching your roof for rodents to have easy access to your home.
– We hope this is just a last resort, but setting traps might be necessary if the previous steps are fruitless. It may feel inhumane to do this, but sometimes you have no other resort with these pests. Rats and mice prefer to stay near walls, so setting traps along a wall is the easiest way to capture them.
When all else fails, it is time to bring in the professionals. Using preventive methods, Massey Services eliminates rodents and other pests and keeps them away for good! Remember that rodents reproduce rapidly, so an inconvenience could quickly turn into an infestation!