Avoid Mosquitoes During the Summer Rainy Season
Mosquitoes and the diseases they carry continue to be in the news. They have been around for millions of years and are one of the most irritating pests.
Now that the summer rainy season is here, it’s more important than ever to take steps to avoid mosquitoes when you’re outside and to keep their populations down around your home. Our experts offer these tips to lessen the bites and keep you protected from mosquito-borne illnesses.
Tips To Avoid Mosquitoes
- Focus mosquito control efforts outside the home. Keep mosquitoes out of your home by having tightly closed doors as well as windows and screens that are properly fitted.
- Drain standing water from the places it collects around your home (bird baths, unfiltered pools) to eliminate breeding habitats. (Drain often; mosquito larvae can develop and become adults in a matter of days.)
- Clear leaves and debris from gutters and drains to prevent the accumulation of stagnant water.
- Avoid working or playing outdoors at dawn or dusk when mosquitoes are most active. If you must be outside at these times, wear long sleeves and long pants.
- Use insect repellent with DEET, applying it not only to skin but to clothing, as well. (Mosquitoes can bite through thin clothing.)
- If there is an excessive amount of water outside your home, request professional help to apply a larvicide to reduce the mosquito population.
The CDC provides additional advice on protecting yourself and your family from mosquitoes and the diseases they spread.
There are 13 species of mosquitoes which are capable of transmitting diseases. A professional pest control company can provide proper control and elimination services through a customized mosquito abatement program.