Tips on Maintaining a Healthy Landscape
Maintaining a beautiful and healthy landscape can be challenging, especially in the Southeast due to the drastic weather we experience throughout the year. Here are a few tips for homeowners to prepare our landscapes for the season ahead:
- Spring is the time to apply fertilizer to the turf and shrubs. Make sure to follow the label directions and remove any fertilizer debris from the driveway, sidewalks and roadways for the protection of our waterways.
- Provide a thin layer of mulch to shrub bed areas to aid in the prevention of new emerging weeds and to help retain soil moisture. Mulch should be applied to a thickness no greater than 3 inches.
- Inspect the irrigation system for proper and thorough coverage:
- Each irrigation head overlapping to another irrigation head
- Irrigation heads in all turf corners, such as the corner of the sidewalk and the driveway
- No mixing of spray and rotor zones; the water output of these heads are vastly different
- Make sure a rain shutoff device is installed and working properly.
- Inspect turf and shrubs for plant-damaging insects and disease
There are a variety of pests and weeds that can invade our landscapes, especially as the weather starts to warm up. For additional information or for a free landscape inspection, contact Massey Services today!