Tips to Reduce Water Waste!
Did you know that irrigation systems that aren’t maintained properly can waste up to 25,000 gallons of water annually? That’s why it’s important to understand different ways that you can contribute to water conservation efforts by making simple adjustments to your irrigation system. Not only does a properly functioning irrigation system help your lawn and landscape look healthy and beautiful, it also helps prevent water waste.
What is Water Conversation vs. Water Waste?
Water conservation is defined as the practice of using water efficiently to reduce unnecessary water usage, while water waste is the unreasonable or excessive running of water.
How Can an Irrigation System Help Conserve Water?
By making a few simple adjustments to your sprinkler system, you can help reduce water waste.
- Make sure that your timer is set to water before 10 a.m. and after 4 p.m. This allows for better absorption of water and reduces evaporation during the hottest part of the day. This also allows you to water less frequently.
- Check your sprinkler heads at least every other month to ensure that there are no leaks and that they are spraying in the right direction. Also check that your sprinkler heads are spraying the roots of plants and not the leaves. Constant water on the leaves can lead to diseases and fungus problems.
- Water Properly. Different types of grass, trees and shrubs require different amounts of water. Make sure to consult an irrigation professional to ensure that each part of your landscape is getting adequate watering without over-watering.
Why Is It Important To Properly Maintain Your Irrigation System?
Other than conserving water, a properly maintained irrigation system will also contribute to the health and beauty of your landscape. A healthy lawn will not only grow to its fullest potential, it also benefits our environment by decreasing noise pollution, reducing erosion from storm water runoff and helping clean the air.
A properly functioning irrigation system not only helps the planet and your lawn, it you also save money! By regularly checking your irrigation system, you can avoid costly repairs for potential leaks and broken pipes while preventing your water bill from increasing due to water waste.
What Are the Signs That My Irrigation System Is Not Functioning Properly?
There are a few signs that you can look for to determine if your irrigation system is malfunctioning:
- Leaking sprinkler head
- Broken sprinkler head or pipe
- Clogged sprinkler nozzle
- Low water pressure at the sprinkler head
- System is not starting or turning off
At Massey Services, our Irrigation Maintenance Program is focused on water conservation by helping homeowners cut water waste by up to 30%*. We do this by performing regular inspections to ensure that there are no leaks and by fixing broken heads, repairing malfunctioning controllers, and determining the proper placement and timing for each sprinkler head in your landscape.
Want to ensure your irrigation system is functioning properly? Schedule your FREE, no obligation inspection.
*Reduction of water waste refers to operating efficiency and not actual amount of water used for irrigation. Irrigation License SCC131151531.