Taking the Bite Out of Mosquitoes
You may hear the hum, but you will definitely feel the bite when the mosquitoes around your home decide its feeding time. Massey Services, the nation’s fifth largest pest prevention company, offers these tips to lessen the bites and keep you protected from mosquito-borne illnesses.
- Focus mosquito abatement efforts outside the home; prevent mosquitoes from entering by having tightly closed doors as well as windows and screens that are properly fitted
- Mosquito larvae can develop and become adults in a matter of days; drain standing water often from the places it collects around your home to eliminate breeding habitats
- If there are excessive amounts of water outside your home, request professional help to apply a larvicide to reduce the mosquito population
- Clear leaves and debris from gutters and drains to prevent the accumulation of stagnant water.
- Avoid working or playing outdoors at dawn or dusk when mosquitoes are most active. If you must be outside at these times, wear long sleeves and long pants.
- Mosquitoes can bite through thin clothing; use insect repellent with DEET, applying it not only to skin but clothing, as well.
There are 13 species of mosquitoes which are capable of transmitting diseases. Professional pest prevention can provide proper control and elimination services through a customized mosquito abatement program. Contact Massey Services for a free inspection and learn about our mosquito abatement treatment options.