Houston has been hit by heavy rains that left behind flooded homes and businesses. As the water recedes and the cleanup efforts begin, one of the many issues that will be encountered are pests who have sought refuge from the floods.
Predominant pest concerns will be:
- Ants: When flooding occurs water wipes out ant nests that are underground. Ants are known to cluster on top of flood waters until they find a dry structure. This could mean an onslaught of ants in your home or on your property.
- Rodents: Rats and mice will be seeking refuge from the water and may start to invade your home. They carry many diseases and other insects such as lice and fleas. An invasion of these rodents shouldn’t be taken lightly. Once they are removed from the home, entry points must be eliminated to keep them from returning.
- Mosquitoes: Unfortunately, with all the standing water that is left behind after a flood, it is an ideal environment for mosquitoes to lay their eggs so you can expect the mosquito population to grow. Make sure you are taking proper precautions to guard yourself and your family against mosquitoes.
- Cockroaches: Cockroaches are often seeking water sources, but after a flood they will be looking for a place to stay dry. They will multiply quickly and carry diseases so it is important to eliminate conditions, avenues and sources immediately.
- Termites: Termites are attracted to moisture and structures that have been flooded are more prone to an infestation. A thorough inspection of your home is critical to ensure termites have not gained access into your home from underground or through your attic.
If your drywall has been removed, Massey Services strongly recommends that these areas be treated with Bora-Care before the drywall is replaced. The Bora-Care treatment penetrates the wood in the structure and remains there for the life of the wood, providing residual protection.
If you are interested in purchasing Termite Protection or would like to switch your current protection to Massey Services, we would like to provide you with a complimentary Bora-Care treatment. Please contact us to schedule your free termite inspection at 1-844-797-7406.