Avoid Pest Problems After the Storm
Hurricane Matthew is forecasted to make landfall in Florida tonight with sustained winds, heavy rain and localized flooding. In addition to the potential damage left by the storm, heavy rain and flood waters can also cause many pest problems.
All of this rain will cause pests to seek shelter just like us. A likely place to move their colonies is into the drier areas of the landscape or even into your house.
Massey Services offers a few tips to help prevent pest issues after the storm:
- Make sure your window screens are in good repair and that door sweeps and window seals are in good condition to reduce the chance that pests will relocate into your home this week.
- As soon as the inclement weather passes, our Service Technicians will be out serving our communities to take of the problem.
Another problem that will likely develop over the next week is a significant increase in mosquito activity. Follow these tips to reduce the mosquito population around your home.
- Drain standing water from the places it collects around your home (bird baths, unfiltered pools) to eliminate breeding habitats. (Drain often; mosquito larvae can develop and become adults in a matter of days.)
- Clear leaves and debris from gutters and drains to prevent the accumulation of stagnant water.
- Avoid working or playing outdoors at dawn or dusk when mosquitoes are most active. If you must be outside at these times, wear long sleeves and long pants.
- Use insect repellent, applying it not only to skin but to clothing, as well. (Mosquitoes can bite through thin clothing.)
- If there is an excessive amount of water outside your home, request professional help to apply a larvicide to reduce the mosquito population.
As a reminder, with the added rainfall your irrigation system should be adjusted and monitored to account for the additional water that your landscape received. Over-watering your landscape can result in weed, insect and disease problems. If you have any areas that start to decline, give us a call and we will be happy to provide you with a diagnosis and proposal to solve the problem.