Mosquitoes, more specifically the mosquito-borne Zika virus disease, have been in the news a lot lately. Mosquitoes have been around for millions of years and are one of the most irritating pests. Massey Services, the nation’s fifth largest pest prevention company, offers these tips to lessen the bites and keep you protected from mosquito-borne illnesses.
- Focus mosquito abatement efforts outside the home; prevent mosquitoes from entering by having tightly closed doors as well as windows and screens that are properly fitted
- Mosquito larvae can develop and become adults in a matter of days; drain standing water often from the places it collects around your home (bird bath, unfiltered pools) to eliminate breeding habitats
- If there are excessive amounts of water outside your home, request professional help to apply a larvicide to reduce the mosquito population
- Clear leaves and debris from gutters and drains to prevent the accumulation of stagnant water.
- Avoid working or playing outdoors at dawn or dusk when mosquitoes are most active. If you must be outside at these times, wear long sleeves and long pants.
- Mosquitoes can bite through thin clothing; use insect repellent with DEET, applying it not only to skin but clothing, as well.
“Mosquito abatement is a process that targets mosquitoes where they live and breed, such as uncontrollable standing water,” said Massey Services Vice President of Quality Assurance Adam Jones. “It provides a barrier of protection around your home that is inspected and treated monthly to minimize mosquito populations all year.”
There are 13 species of mosquitoes which are capable of transmitting diseases. A professional pest management company can provide proper control and elimination services through a customized mosquito abatement program.
Contact Massey Services for a free inspection and learn about our mosquito abatement treatment options.