The holidays are almost here, and many of us have been working to prepare our homes for parties and house guests. This increased focus on our homes makes this a good time to think about things that we can do around our homes to reduce the risk of termites. While we can never entirely eliminate this risk, there are home maintenance steps that we can take to eliminate the conditions that are conducive to an infestation.
Subterranean termites require food, water and shelter to survive, but the number one conducive condition to their survival is moisture. Above ground moisture sources can lead to a suspended colony that no longer needs to return to the ground for water. Massey Services recommends these steps to eliminate above ground water sources:
- Adjust sprinkler heads so that water does not hit the wall
- Avoid clogged gutters and make sure downspouts direct rain water away from the house
- Repair roof and plumbing leaks
- Trim bushes back at least 18 inches from walls to allow them to dry
- Eliminate any standing water near the home’s foundation
- Make sure your house has a good coat of paint to seal out moisture
- Caulk windows and doors to create a good seal
Earth-to-wood contact is another conducive condition that provides an avenue for termites to enter your home. Massey Services recommends these steps to minimize this risk:
- Avoid stacking firewood on the ground near the wall of your house. If possible, suspend wood above ground and away from your house.
- Make sure the wood trim on your house does not come in contact with the ground
You also will want to look out for blistered paint or soft wood, which can indicate a termite infestation.
Our annual winter savings event is going on now. For a limited time, we are extending a special discount offer to new and existing customers. It’s our gift to you!
Save on any of our services* to protect your home and family:
- Pest Prevention
- Termite Protection
- GreenUP Landscape Services
- Irrigation Maintenance
- Mosquito Abatement
- Rodent Exclusion
Offer ends December 31, 2016.