It’s almost Memorial Day weekend and reports are showing more people will be hitting the road this year over previous years. But before you head out of town and check into a hotel, make sure you know what to look for when it comes to bed bugs. Here are a few tips you can follow so you’re not bringing unwanted guests back home with you!
Upon checking into your hotel room, perform these simple steps to ensure there are no signs of bed bugs:
- Pull the pillows and sheets down about 1/3 of the way from the top of the bed and look for reddish-brown or black spots on the sheets near the bed’s headboard. You may not see the actual bugs themselves but they do leave a trail of spots.
- Look for spots on mattresses, pillows, headboards and walls behind headboards.
- Check the inside of dresser drawers for insects and black spots.
If you see anything suspicious during your inspection, be sure to contact Guest Services immediately and request a new room.
If you suspect you may have been in a hotel room that had bed bugs, take the following steps when you return home:
- Isolate items in your travel bags from other items in your home – the garage is a great place to do this!
- Put clothing and other heat tolerant items into your dryer for a minimum of 20 minutes – the heat will eliminate bed bugs.
- After thoroughly heating the items, wash as normal.
- Check all luggage before storing it away. Vacuum out luggage and clean the exterior surface.
If you have any other questions, feel free to contact us! Safe & happy travels!