Mosquitoes and the diseases they carry continue to be in the news. Mosquitoes have been around for millions of years and are one of the most irritating pests. Now that the summer rainy season is here, it’s more important than ever to take steps to avoid mosquitoes when you’re outside and to keep their populations down around your home. Massey Services offers these tips to lessen the bites and keep you protected from mosquito-borne illnesses.
- Focus mosquito control efforts outside the home. Keep mosquitoes out of your home by having tightly closed doors as well as windows and screens that are properly fitted.
- Drain standing water from the places it collects around your home (bird baths, unfiltered pools) to eliminate breeding habitats. (Drain often; mosquito larvae can develop and become adults in a matter of days.)
- Clear leaves and debris from gutters and drains to prevent the accumulation of stagnant water.
- Avoid working or playing outdoors at dawn or dusk when mosquitoes are most active. If you must be outside at these times, wear long sleeves and long pants.
- Use insect repellent with DEET, applying it not only to skin but to clothing, as well. (Mosquitoes can bite through thin clothing.)
- If there is an excessive amount of water outside your home, request professional help to apply a larvicide to reduce the mosquito population.
The CDC provides additional advice on protecting yourself and your family from mosquitoes and the diseases they spread.
There are 13 species of mosquitoes which are capable of transmitting diseases. A professional pest prevention company can provide proper control and elimination services through a customized mosquito abatement program.
During the month of June 2016, Massey Services is offering a 10% discount on Mosquito Abatement. Contact Massey Services for a free inspection and learn about our mosquito abatement treatment options.