In honor of Halloween, we wanted to share a few weird and creepy facts about pests according to the Science Channel.
- Grasshopper Ears: Certain types of grasshoppers and crickets have their ears on their front legs.
- Ants Marching: Only three kinds of animals fight battles in formation – humans, crows and ants.
- Wasp Hunters: There are wasp species that hunt other types of dangerous predators, like praying mantids and tarantulas.
- Mosquitoes: Mosquitoes have killed more humans than all the wars in history.
- Fly Taste Buds: Houseflies can taste with their feet – they have taste buds on them.
- Sleeping Wasps: Some wasps sleep (and even hibernate for months) while hanging by their teeth.
- Termite Mounds: African termite mounds can be up to 40 feet high and use an intricate system of ventilation shafts to control the temperature inside.
- Indian Moon Moths: Indian Moon Moths are able to smell the pheromones of a potential mate over six miles away.
- Termite Queens: Termite queens can lay up to 30,000 eggs a day, and can live for several years.
- Midge Larvae: Larvae of one type of midge can survive for three days in liquid nitrogen. The temperature of liquid nitrogen is -321 degrees Fahrenheit.